Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Situation in Guatemala

This is the latest information I have regarding our adoption and the situation in Guatemala. We receive new information almost daily, and much of it is political and very hard to understand. As far as I know, there is a great deal of support from various organizations pressuring the Guatemalan President (President Berger) to allow adoptions that are in-process to be completed under the existing guidelines. While it is not certain that this will happen, we are feeling optimistic that Ana’s case could possibly be far enough along in the process to avoid some of the complications that will become increasingly evident after the first of the year. We would just LOVE to have her home by then, but simply being out of PGN in a timely fashion with no previews would be a huge answer to prayer. Thank you so very much, for those of you who made calls and sent emails on behalf of the Guatemala 5000 Initiative. I have attached a few updates from our agency, indicating that this really has and will continue to make a difference.

I have had many mixed emotions this past week. We are certainly thankful for where Ana is in the process at this point, and hopeful that her case will process to completion. At the same time, Brian and I both feel a sense of sadness - wondering how this situation will affect our friends who are waiting for babies, and those who have already met their daughters and are eager to bring them home. We also feel for the 40 expecting mothers who are currently receiving care through the Promise of Life program in Guatemala. Without the ongoing relief fees paid by adoptive parents, this program is in jeopardy of closing. The same is true of “Hannah’s Hope” – the orphanage where Ana and several others have received such wonderful care. We are working with AGCI to try and brainstorm fundraising and support programs that would carry them through the several months or even years it may take to get the adoption portion of the program running smoothly again. It is such an amazing ministry and such a source of hope for so many- from the many workers employed there, to the mothers and children serviced by the counseling team and medical staff. It is truly one of the most amazing ministries we’ve ever seen in action. We are also starting to really miss Ana. The kids are talking about her more and more, and are so eager to meet her. We talk to them about the things we remember about her from our first trip, and realize that so many of those things have already changed significantly now. Even her update photos show that she is growing out of that “newborn” stage. We trust though, that God’s timing is perfect, and believe that her paperwork will be processed exactly when it is supposed to be. We wait eagerly for the day when we receive “the call” indicating that Ana is indeed, legally our daughter.

Our wonderful case manager sent the following words of encouragement this past week, and I thought I would pass it along to all of you.

Sometimes only the step I’m on,
Or the very next one ahead,
Is all that is illuminated for me.
God gives just the amount of light I need
For the exact moment I need it.
At those times I walk in the surrender to faith,
Unable to see the future
And not fully comprehending the past.
And because it is God who has given me
What light I have,
I know I must reject the fear and
Doubt that threaten to overtake me.
I must determine to be content where
I am, and allow God to get me where I
Need to go.
I walk forward,
One step at a time,
Fully trusting that
The light God sheds
Is absolutely sufficient.

Thanks, again, for your continued prayers - for Ana’s health and the efficient processing of her paperwork, and for the entire situation in Guatemala and the children and families this affects.

No comments:

Post a Comment