On Friday, Brian took the day off work so that we could travel to Traverse City, spend some time with my parents, and allow Grace the opportunity to compete at a larger skating competition. Needless to say, she was SO excited and had been counting the days ever since we put it on the calendar. It was particularly special because Grace's skating coach, Miss Stephanie, was not only coaching Grace, but competing herself at this competition. It was so neat for Grace to see her as both a coach and as a competitor. And it was fun for Brian and I to get to know Stephanie's mom a little better. I always so appreciate conversations with other, more experienced moms. I always feel like there is so much more to learn... :-)
Anyway, Grace had such a wonderful weekend. She loved every minute that she was at the rink and was so excited to share this time with her grandparents. The weekend was a true blessing in so many ways. My parents and my grandma were able to see Grace perform for the first time, and Grace continued to grow in her relationship with her coach. As a mom, it is such a wonderful thing when you recognize that God has placed special people in your child's life - that are true examples of Christian character. It is hard to describe the admiration that Grace has for Miss Stephanie (though I am sure it is apparent in the photos... :-) She admires Stephanie as a beautiful and accomplished skater, and has such respect for her as a coach. She wants to be just like Miss Stephanie, and I can't think of a better role-model for her. (The hug she received from Stephanie after completing her program meant more to her than any medal or ribbon could have...) I never expected figure skating to play such a major role in the development of Grace's character, but it certainly has become one of the biggest joys in her life. In fact, this evening at dinner, as Grace was trying to convince Brian and I that she needed an "expanded skating schedule", Joel stepped up as a big brother and reminded her..."Grace, Coach VanWieren told me at basketball camp that you have to keep your sports in order... like... God comes first, then family and friends, and THEN basketball - or for you, skating." Another example of a coach being a great role-model for Joel and a perfect reminder for us all to keep a balanced perspective.
Joel is enjoying playing his violin at Farmer's Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays and is well on his way to reaching his goal. He is thrilled to be able to donate money to Hannah's Hope and just can't wait to return to Guatemala some day. He is loving the beautiful sunny weather and spends every spare moment playing outside with his friends.
.jpg)
Ana continues to keep us on our toes with her spunk and curiosity, yet is a true joy. She is just so funny and is constantly coming up with new things that make Brian and I wonder, "Where does she get this from?" All day today, she kept putting her hands down the front of her pants. I thought she was just starting to recognize that she didn't like the feel of her diapers. I never thought to ask her what she was doing. This evening, however, when Brian asked her why she was putting her hands in her pants, she replied, "Daddy- not pants... hand in pockets!" So all day, I missed the fact that she had gotten used to wearing pants with pockets and today she did not have any... Crazy girl... :-) And does she ever love her brother and sister. She is constantly asking where they are, what they are doing, and wanting to be right there with them. She is giving hugs and kisses all the time now, and just seems so happy. I can truly say she has fully adjusted to life as a part of our family and we can't imagine our life without her. We continue to be thankful for God's perfect plan and how His presence is so evident each day.


.jpg)
Oh my goodness, where's the baby? Wait...slow down...were not suppose to be at the toddler little girl stage yet...its too fast, but like you, were enjoying every second and praising God for his perfect plan for our family. I miss you so, can I come our for a visit? Susie
ReplyDelete