Ana's new birth certificate has not yet been issued, but we received an update today detailing the situation. While the news is not all positive, Brian and I feel thankful that there is a plan in place to deal with the problem and are grateful that we have only been waiting 3 weeks (not the 2 months that some families have been waiting). We are also thankful that we are working with an agency committed to handling such situations in an ethical and Godly manner. We are asking for your prayers to complete this process so that we are able to bring her home soon after Christmas.
The following is the email we received from our program director:
"Dear Families,
I wanted to give you all an update on what’s going on in Civil Registry. As many of you know, the current situation has been that there were numerous files with forged PGN approvals. These files were caught and now all files in Mixco CR are undergoing investigation to ensure that there are no false documents. In some cases, birth moms are even being brought in for interviews to ensure their adoptions are legal. Families are going on 2 months, if not longer, in Civil Registry and children that should be home now are looking at longer waits to be united with their new families. This is a very sad situation and I know so many of you are frustrated but I need everyone to understand that the corruption that has been going on is exactly why the new adoption law and processes need to be implemented.
I spoke with our lawyer in Guatemala and she told me that she had received an anonymous phone call earlier this week from someone within Civil Registry stating that the only way to get our files out is to pay money. This is a horrible situation and as an ethical agency, we will not pay. This has also happened to other lawyers and agencies and has been reported to the PGN. For those of you that are following list servs and other postings, please understand that the files coming out with birth certificates are the ones that have been paid for OR are not in the Mixco CR. Both our lawyer and Heather have been to PGN and Civil Registry to advise them of this blackmail. We sent a letter to PGN last week asking for a letter stating all AGCI approvals from PGN are legal. The secretary of Barrios (head of PGN) called our lawyer back today and let her know that Barrios is out of town, but as soon as he gets back he will send a list of all our approved PGN files to Civil Registry to get the files out. The secretary said she will call our lawyer as soon as this occurs. We do not know when he will be back but as soon as we know that he is back, we will get that letter and get your files.
I want all of you to know that Soojin and I, as well as our staff in Guatemala, are doing everything we can to avoid all of this corruption and ensure that all of your cases are being processed ethically and legally. I know that many of you had planned on having your children home by now and all I can say is that I’m so sorry. I wish that these were issues we could control but they are all due to a foreign government that works very differently.
At this point, Soojin and I need your patience and support more than ever. We care about all of you so much and as hard as this situation is for each one of you, we also carry your burdens. We ask for your prayers at this time for some resolution and good news. We will contact you when we have further news."
That being said, we are still hopeful to travel sometime the first part of the year. We trust in God's perfect timing and right now, are thoroughly enjoying the Christmas season with Joel and Grace and their many different activities. It certainly makes this year extra special to be preparing, as a family, for such an exciting trip. It also helps to put the meaning of the season in perspective. We have been packing up numerous boxes of items to take to the orphanage with us, and I feel like this is the first year that our kids are really experiencing joy that comes from giving more than receiving. Thank you, once again, for your many prayers. We will send an update as soon as we have more information.
No comments:
Post a Comment